A Unique Performance Improvement Opportunity for Ohio Businesses
Companies are often tasked with simultaneously reducing their operating costs, improving their productivity, and decreasing their environmental footprint. Needless to say, this is a challenging and overwhelming prospect for most. But help is now available to Ohio-based businesses through the ME3 program.
ME3 represents a merger of two programs, E3 (Energy, Economy, and Environment) and Ohio By-Product Synergy Network (BPS Network), both of which have been deployed successfully in Ohio. By entering the ME3 program companies receive energy and “lean and clean” facility audits, along with participation in a network of companies that convert waste materials to feedstock.
ME3 program offerings are valued at a minimum of $28,500. The cost for manufacturers to enroll can be greatly reduced, thanks to federal funding available for a limited time. Most estimates demonstrate a 60-90% discounted price on ME3 services, depending on company size and location. ME3 offerings include:
- One-year Membership in Ohio BPS Network: BPS Network is a program facilitated by The Ohio State University and the U.S. Business Council for Sustainable Development. This network helps businesses turn waste into profitable by-products, thus creating economic and environmental benefits.
- Comprehensive E3 Assessment: E3 provides manufacturers with customized hands-on assessments of production processes to identify opportunities for improvements in the areas of energy consumption, carbon footprint reduction, pollution prevention, and production efficiency.
Benefits and Savings
The expected collective benefits to companies that participated in the BPS Network in 2010 include:
- Avoidance of approximately 30,000 tons/yr of waste to the landfill
- Avoidance of approximately 660,000 metric tons/yr of greenhouse gas emissions
- Approximately $3.5 million/yr in cost savings
In 2009, six companies participating in the Columbus, Ohio E3 pilot project identified savings that averaged more than $880,000 annually per company. Collection savings identified include:
- Energy savings of $1.7 million
- Environmental savings of $2.6 million
- Avoidance of more than 250,000 lbs of water pollutants
Contact Megan Moses, Ohio BPS Network Director, at 1-614-668-1926 or
email@example.com for more information about the ME3 program and the significant price reduction available for a limited time.