Household hazardous products pose a threat when improperly stored or disposed. The average home contains 60 to 100 pounds of hazardous chemicals.
- Household poisonings are the second leading cause of death related to injury in Hamilton County (tied with firearms).
- Throwing away hazardous waste in your garbage can injure your waste collector when hazardous waste reacts with other materials in the garbage truck.
- Dumping hazardous waste down the drain interferes with the wastewater treatment process.
Take Back Your Home Campaign
The Hamilton County Recycling and Solid Waste District partnered with Hamilton County Soil and Water Conservation District and Hamilton County Public Health to create the Take Back Your Home campaign. Take Back Your Home includes resources for you to reduce how much household hazardous waste you have in your home:
- Teach yourself to find the correct quantity needed for your project
- Alternative available? Find recipes for alternatives to traditional products.
- Know how to safely store products.
- Explore disposal options
Visit TAKEBackYourHome.org to access these resources.